What Is Hypothyroidism and what causes ?
Hypothyroidism is a medical condition characterized by inadequate thyroid hormone produced by the thyroid gland . The thyroid gland is part of the endocrine system located below the vocal cords whose role is to produce hormones , such as thyroid .
Thyroid hormones help regulate the body's metabolism , which consequently helps regulate mood , weight and energy levels . Normally , the pituitary gland produces stimulating hormone , which stimulates the thyroid gland to secrete thyroid hormone .
The most frequent cause of hypothyroidism is caused by inflammation of the thyroid gland , which causes damage . Insufficiency of thyroid hormone in the body can cause symptoms , such as feeling depressed , feeling tired and weight loss that is not expected . Fortunately , this condition is generally harmless and can be handled easily with hormone replacement therapy to replace the lack of thyroid hormone .
What Are the Symptoms of Hypothyroidism ?Signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism that may arise :
- Talk slow
- Brittle nails
- Pale and dry skin
- suffering from depression
- Loss of sensation of tasting
- Muscle pain ( myalgia )
- Swelling of the legs
- thickening of the skin
- thinning eyebrows
- Menstrual periods that are heavier than usual
- Weight gain unwanted
- Brittle hair
- Joint pain
- Sensitive to cold
- Swollen face
Symptoms occur slowly over time. At first you may not realize it, or you might think just normal aging. See your doctor if you have symptoms like this and did not improve.
What Causes Hypothyroidism ?Causes of hypothyroidism are :
- Severe iodine deficiency
- Damage to the thyroid gland
- Hormone production by the thyroid gland inadequate
- The immune system produces antibodies that attack the thyroid gland
What Can Increase Risk of Hypothyroidism ?Risk of developing hypothyroidism increases if you :
- Is a woman
- Aged over 50 years
- Had previously undergone Radioactive Iodine Treatment
- Had previously undergone radiation therapy
- Thyroidectomy had previously undergone
- Often exposed to radiation at the neck or upper chest
- Has been diagnosed with Autoimmune Disorders
Complications Can Anything Hypothyroidism Caused By ?Hypothyroidism can cause subsequent complications as :
- Babies born to mothers with medical conditions have a higher risk for birth defects
- may have a higher risk for Congestive Heart Failure
- May have a higher risk for myxoedema coma
- May have a higher risk for Cardiovascular Disease
- May suffer from Infertility ( infertility )
- Pregnant women may have a higher risk for miscarriage
Hypothyroidism treatmentDoctors usually prescribe thyroid hormone pills to treat hypothyroidism. Most people start to feel better within a week or two. Your symptoms will probably disappear in a few months. But you probably will need to keep taking the pills for the rest of your life.
It's important to take the medicine exactly as your doctor's recommendations. You will also need to visit the doctor as a follow-up visit to ensure you have the right dose. Thyroid hormones are too much or too little can cause problems.